Here’s how to setup a Slack helpdesk channel
Changing channel permissions is only available if your have the Business+ plan or greater in Slack
- Open the settings by clicking the down arrow next to it’s name.
- Navigate to the settings tab and select edit on the posting permissions section.
- Select admins only
Once you’ve limited the posting permissions, the chat box will be disabled for other non admin users. However, they’ll still be able to start threads on messages.
In the next section, we’ll go throw what needs to be done to get the Slack shortcut (lightning bolt) setup.
Open the workflow builder in Slack
It’s located in the tools submenu from the top left hand workspace dropdown (see screenshot).
Choose templates from the top navbar
Choose the #it-requests channel you created above and hit “Next”
Slack will open up the workflow steps for your helpdesk shortcut.
After making adjustments, make sure you hit publish.
- Click “Add to Slack” on Tellspin’s home page
Slack will prompt you to approve some permissions. Tellspin follows the “least privileged” principle, only requesting permission it absolutely needs to function.
- Tellspin will send a welcome message
- Click “Create a schedule” button
You can also make a new schedule from Tellspin’s
- Insert the @mention in your helpdesk message workflow step.
When the message is posted in Slack, Tellspin will contact the person on rotation via Slack’s built-in contact methods.